What is most important in a small group performance?
Judging criteria will be based on the following general guidelines:
- Composition and arrangements
- Interaction – Listening and communication
- Band Cohesion
- Memorizing the music – Encourage playing without music
- Are they working as a group or just a group of soloists? Feel – cohesiveness – playing together or all just soloing, are they a combo or a group. Do they have a unified sound?
- How the band relates and communicates with the audience?
2: Technical Skills
- Rhythm Section cohesiveness and support for band
- Intonation – Blend
- Ensemble work
- Playing a variety of styles
- Rhythm section roles, precision, dynamics – horn section cohesiveness, skills
- Tempo – consistent pulse throughout each tune
3. Style – Tradition
- Respect for the tradition or knowledge of the masters
- Showmanship – a spokesperson that can relate to the audience. Audience interaction.
- Knowledge of the music they are playing and if they help educate the audience on why they chose the tunes, who wrote them, etc.
4. Repertoire – Choice of Material